If we are to have a sustainable future we must find a new way – a Peaceful Way. The processes the ancients knew, the indigenous peoples of the world still know and modern science is now exploring in detail demonstrate how this can be. By integrating ancient wisdom with new information, a new story for humanity is now emerging. It is story of wisdom about our troubled times, how this has come to be, what we can do for a new way that calls us powerfully to wake up and act.
A new Story for humanity is now emerging
This is a story that we all carry within us and which we recognise upon hearing. Our personal wisdom stories are awakened, and by coming together in right relationship and sharing our truth and listening to that of others, our personal and collective wisdom stories grow in power and potency. We carry these stories with us as we go forward, and the consciousness they invoke gives power to our words and action. With our stories we create our future and a powerful story creates a powerful future.
With our stories we create our future and a powerful story creates a powerful future
My contribution is The Nature Code and through my work I support the new story that is emerging and the consciousness it brings forward for a new way. I hold inclusive events for people to learn about the natural processes, experience transformational change and to generate creation story for a better future. I do this via workshops, talks, seminars and nature immersion events.
If You Want to Know More:
Scroll down and read further or click on any of the following topics.
– A New Story for Humanity is Emerging
– How Did We End Up Here: Our Journey Across Time
– The Influence of Collective Trauma
– Mind Adapted to a World of Trauma
– Mechanical Mind – A Power Unto Itself
– Finding Solution
– Indigenous & Ancient Wisdom Traditions
– The New Sciences
– Interconnected Mind
– The Return to Interconnected Mind
As a trauma and abuse recovery psychologist for more than twenty years I have assisted those damaged by a deeply flawed human world. The results of dysfunctional systems developed by humans since the birth of colonization have been critically wounding people, communities, nature and mother earth herself at an ever increasing rate. The health professions cannot keep up and our political leadership cannot respond appropriately. Rather than simply picking up the pieces in my work as a psychologist, I am working to contribute to a major shift that that is occuring for a sustainable and just future.
There are Four Fundamental Questions:
– How could such aggressive destruction be happening?
– What is wrong with humanity to be behaving in such ways?
– Why is the behaviour that causes such grief and trauma accepted and then justified?
– And what can we do about it?
The answers and a new way forward can be found in four interrelated fields of knowledge:
– The understanding of humanities collective journey over thousands of years and the way it has shaped our minds (Where are we and how did we get here?)
– Understanding the nature of trauma and how we have adapted to cope with it
– The wisdom of First Nations peoples in various parts of the world
– Information emerging from ‘new science’ demonstrating we are all deeply interconnected and part of a much larger conscious system.
With the integration of ancient wisdom and new knowledge a story for our age emerges. This is a Wisdom Story about humanities journey over thousands of years, an evolution of consciousness that is now underway, and solutions becoming visible for a better future. The time is right, it is not complicated and we are ready to undertake the journey of transformation that awaits us.
All of these are great entry points for the wonder and richness of the interconnected world of which the ancients and indigenous speak
I share this journey by offering workshops based on the Transformational Blueprint within us, as well as seminars, talks, and nature immersion events. All of these are great entry points for the wonder and richness of the interconnected world of which the ancients and indigenous speak, and joining the growing number of co-creators who are working towards a better future for individuals, communities, and mother earth.
The Nature Code has emerged out of my exploration to assist others in transformational journey over many years. The Nature Code is not a thing within itself but points toward:
– Pathways out of ‘Mechanical Mind’ to ‘Interconnected Mind’ for process awareness and sustainable solutions
– A Transformational Blueprint within all of us for natural self-development and evolution of consciousness
– Transformational Maps that unfold as we progress for ongoing direction and wisdom access.
I am working to contribute to a major shift that I believe is necessary for a sustainable and just future.
There have been plenty of contributors with whom I have worked along the way and I have drawn on the wisdom of many. Throughout this website you will find additional information via story, events, blogs, networks, community, newsletter and those whom I have joined in co-creation.
We all have indigenous ancestors if we travel back in time far enough.
We all have indigenous ancestors if we travel back in time far enough. These ancestors were embedded in mobile societies living in deep relationship with nature and mother earth. Since the birth of colonization and the assimilation of indigenous peoples into agricultural communities we have progressively disconnected from each other, nature and mother earth. Settlement and the development of agriculture approximately ten thousand years ago were followed by:
– The rise of civilisations and the need to defend them
– Exploitive and controlling religions
– A divided and fragmented view of existence that has its roots in ancient Greek philosophy
– Military power
– Exploitive capitalism
– Controlling and top down governance
– A classical science with a central thesis of ‘command and control’.
All of these have contributed to our separation, dis-empowerment and loss of respect for each other, nature and mother earth. However, there is a powerful causal influence of collective trauma that explains why such a destructive evolution of behaviour has occurred and why it is self-perpetuating.
Separation creates fear, fear leads to aggression, aggression results in trauma, and trauma creates additional separation in a vicious cycle that tumbles across time.
Separation creates fear, fear leads to aggression, aggression results in trauma, and trauma creates additional separation in a vicious cycle that tumbles across time. The mind of humanity has adapted to cope with an increasingly traumatised world over thousands of years and in doing so has perpetuated an upward spiral of aggressive behaviour; with the Interconnected Mind of our ancestors all but fading from conscious memory.
The impact of trauma on the way we process information and our worldview is understood by today’s social sciences. It includes:
– Amplified threat detection
– Focus on content and detail
– Loss of relationship and process awareness
– Fearful thinking for the future
– Lowering of impulse control with a seeming urgency to act
– Compromised higher order executive functioning
– Numbing and loss of emotional information
– Emotional flooding
– Difficulty in being psychologically present
– Diminished awareness of long term consequences of action
– A need to be in control and
– The need to accumulate things and/or power to feel safe.
Fuels exploitive capitalism and hierarchical power and governance structures that are unable to respond to the environmental and social crisis of our planet.
Our world view has changed from the indigenous world view of co-operation, co-creation, relationship awareness, interconnection, collective wellbeing and safety to one of a fearful and threatening world focused on the material. Competition for resources and power without due regard to others rules the day. Invasion, war and conflict across all dimensions perpetuates trauma in an ever increasing dynamic, and fuels exploitive capitalism and hierarchical power and governance structures that are unable to respond to the environmental and social crisis of our planet. Our minds have adapted to a world of trauma and many of these behaviours are now accepted. What does this mean and what are the consequences?
Trauma Mind does not refer to a traumatised mind, but the mind that has adapted to cope with an increasingly violent and exploitive world and given rise to Mechanical Mind. Trauma Mind and the subsequent emergence of Mechanical Mind can be understood by considering common individual coping strategies. Psychology describes maladaptive coping strategies for individual trauma and it is telling.
These strategies include:
– risk taking behaviour
– drug and alcohol use
– a need to be in control
– a need to have more things
– a need to find power at any cost
– emotional numbing
– rigid belief systems and ideology that are strongly and aggressively defended
– ego inflation
– and more.
The global manifestation of maladaptive individual coping strategies
It is not difficult to see the behaviours in the world that have led to so much destruction and exploitation are in fact the global manifestation of maladaptive individual coping strategies such as these. This is Trauma Mind and from it came Mechanical Mind.
Einstein said “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honours the servant and has forgotten the gift”.
From this need came Mechanical Mind driven by Newton’s mechanical science and a world view that has dominated since.
For Trauma Mind to feel safe it needed to be in control. To be in control it needed a world that it could manipulate. To be able to manipulate it needed a world of nothing more than objects that obeyed physical laws. From this need came Mechanical Mind driven by Newton’s mechanical science and a world view that has dominated since.
Central to Mechanical Mind is a thesis of ‘command and control’ and a constructed world view that includes:
– The rational conscious mind and its logic as superior to all else in understanding and interpreting reality.
– Humanity has the most developed Rational Conscious Mind so we are superior to the rest of creation
– There is only a world of objects
– Therefore anything beyond the material world is illusion and fantasy
– These objects obey physical laws and the world can be predicted and controlled
– The rest of creation is at the disposal of humanity
– The creation can be improved upon by those in possession of the knowledge
There is much more, but this is enough to see a progression of humanity exercising their need to accumulate power, control and things to feel safe. Mechanical Mind explained the material world so well it displaced traditional wisdom, spirituality, religions and anything else as the source of truth. Those that were deemed to possess the knowledge of the rules that governed the material world were elevated even further.
Mechanical Mind had done such a good job of describing how things worked its proponents claimed the right to determine the future for all.
The existence of anything superior to man and therefore a source of truth beyond man (such as God) were deemed to be an illusion, and the accumulation of power and righteousness was complete. Mechanical Mind had done such a good job of describing how things worked its proponents claimed the right to determine the future for all. The radically altered world view of Mechanical Mind accepted by those too intimidated to disagree and they were inducted into the supporting belief system.
Enabled colonists to brutally disposes and oppress indigenous populations around the world. All of this was justified and accepted in the name of empire and corrupted religions.
Since the beginning of settlement and agrarian cultures Trauma Mind and its colonisation practices have become increasingly sophisticated in accumulation of power and things for perceived safety. Trauma Mind with the disconnected beliefs and values of Mechanical Mind, along with its creations, enabled colonists to brutally disposes and oppress indigenous populations around the world. All of this was justified and accepted in the name of empire and corrupted religions.
Colonisation with its central thesis of command and control and corruption of spirituality, knowledge and belief is perhaps the longest standing cult of all.
The colonising nature of Trauma Mind has since progressed beyond land and populations to exploitive capitalism, corporate culture, the financial system, governance, politics, education and even social media. Colonisation with its central thesis of command and control and corruption of spirituality, knowledge and belief is perhaps the longest standing cult of all. Consider the commonly accepted characteristics of Cults:
✓ Authoritarian Leadership
✓ Opposition to Independent Thinking
✓ Trivialisation of those who do not agree.
✓ Fear of being “dis-fellowshipped”
✓ Threats of something awful happening if you leave the group
✓ Tendency toward unavoidable apocalyptic endings.
Clearly humanity is in trouble and Trauma Mind cannot solve the problems that it has created. Trauma Mind and Mechanical Mind are simply too disconnected, compromised, conditioned, programed and constrained.
Einstein also knew this well and said “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
How do we then unhook from such a limited and destructive world view for freedom of thought and action to find our way to a sustainable and better future? Where are the solutions going to come from?
With our stores we create our future and the ‘story’ of Trauma Mind no longer serves us. It is based in fear, has destructive consequences and is not sustainable. Nor can we return to past ways of being.
The processing power of these networks enables healing and integration of our learning in separation for new wisdom and a further evolution of consciousness.
The new wisdom story emerging for our time however, proposes a return to a view of a multidimensional interconnected world of great complexity, of which we are a part, are in relationship with, and have responsibility to act in ways for the wellbeing of all. A return to interconnection enables processing via vast distributed networks and systems we become part of. The processing power of these networks enables healing and integration of our learning in separation for new wisdom and a further evolution of consciousness.
This is the world of many indigenous peoples throughout time, one ‘new science’ is rediscovering in more detail and a world that gives rise to Interconnected Mind of which we can participate.
These relationships were respectful, deeply meaningful, a source of wisdom and guidance.
Indigenous people from around the world have always known this. They lived a life with a powerfully understanding of balance and how the health of one depended on the health of tribe, and how the health of tribe depended on relationship with their environment. All things within nature had consciousness and were recognised as part of an extended family. These relationships were respectful, deeply meaningful, a source of wisdom and guidance.
Within the stories and cultural knowledge of indigenous peoples is a great deal of wisdom if we listen the right way.
Within the stories and cultural knowledge of indigenous peoples is a great deal of wisdom if we listen the right way. Many have preserved the knowledge and carried it through times of brutal oppression and persecution so that it remains available to the world. There are also traditions that have carried the wisdom of indigenous ancestors across the millennia such as the eastern schools of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. Threads of original wisdom can be found throughout the world.
The new sciences reveal a world of interconnection and self-organisation with transformational capability.
There is a transformation occurring in the sciences with a new paradigm emerging. The new sciences reveal a world of interconnection and self-organisation with transformational capability. A world in which boundaries become fuzzy, communication occurs across distance, we have more in common than difference and are in powerful interdependent relationship with the universe and everything in it. All that we are aware of has emerged from transformational processes new science is describing in detail. Once they are understood, just like many indigenous and ancient wisdom traditions tell us, our role as co-creators with each other, nature and mother earth becomes clear.
Interconnected Mind is described by the indigenous and ancient wisdom traditions, and people in the modern world are rediscovering this way of being.
– Conscious and unconscious mind exchange energy and information freely
– The wisdom and insight generated by the profound processing capacity of the unconscious becomes available
– Information processing is efficiently distributed across all of the interconnected bodies systems including gut, heart and the body itself, thereby increasing our processing capacity.
– Energetic sensitivity increases and the felt language of the natural world comes into our awareness
– Recognition that as an individual we are part of a much larger interconnected intelligent system that includes nature and mother earth herself
– Sense of self changes to one of belonging, with individual and separate ego identity less prominent
– Ability to work with others, nature and mother earth in acts of co-creation.
How remarkable that this door is opening when growing numbers of us are ready to walk through it and embrace a new way.
When the information of new science is integrated with ancient wisdom a transformation of consciousness becomes possible and a way forward emerges for a sustainable and just future. How remarkable that this door is opening when growing numbers of us are ready to walk through it and embrace a new way.
The release of trauma mind to embrace interconnected mind is a journey that begins from where you are now with what you have
There is no preparation necessary. You do not need special qualities, nor do you need special people outside of who you are to make it possible. The release of trauma mind to embrace interconnected mind is a journey that begins from where you are now with what you have – not somewhere else dependent on others or circumstances. All you need do is be in right relationship with each other, nature and mother earth and the Process Blueprint within you will respond.
Interconnected to form a universal information processing network we are all part of.
Both New Science and ancestral wisdom tell us about this blueprint for return to interconnected mind where sustainable solutions become possible. The blueprint is comprised of self-organising and transformational processes that are already embedded in all of creation. They function at all levels of existence from sub atomic to universal, and are interconnected to form a universal information processing network we are all part of.
Our minds and consciousness find their way back to interconnection, balance, right relationship and transformational evolution.
When we release the constraints of Trauma Mind the process blueprint within us is free to function effectively and our journey begins. Our minds and consciousness find their way back to interconnection, balance, right relationship and transformational evolution. By connecting with healthy systems in nature, mother earth and the universe our journey is empowered by much larger transformational systems.
Life is once again enchanted with wonder as the indigenous and ancients describe.
We are then once again part of a much larger conscious system with access to wisdom and co-creative ability. We can connect with others and the world around us such that information and wisdom becomes available for guidance, meaningful relationships return, a sense of belonging grows and life is once again enchanted with wonder as the indigenous and ancients describe.
Throughout this website you will find additional information via story, events, blogs, networks, community, newsletter and those whom I have joined in co-creation. Join us and others in bringing forward a new way
Nature is a powerful teacher. Several years of immersion during the 1980’s initiated a personal transformation that led to The Nature Code.
We were clearly on a collective charge toward a sustainability cliff edge fueled by a supreme belief in the rational mind as authority, and success measured by quantity.
Prior to this I was involved in a business supporting industrialised agriculture. It became evident, during this time, that our disconnect from Mother Earth was responsible for much disharmony and destruction in the world. Profit based decisions were being made without consideration for mother earth or social and cultural systems that had emerged over millennia. We were clearly on a collective charge toward a sustainability cliff edge fueled by a supreme belief in the rational mind as authority, and success measured by quantity.
I sought refuge from the crazy world of business in the tall timber country of the south west of Western Australia. There I purchased a rundown 240 acre dairy property and soon after removed the introduced stock and opened the fences to an adjoining national park. Over the next six years or so I walked the property most days and observed what occurred.
I learnt that nature is intelligent. Once the constraints were removed I did not need to tell Mother Earth what to do or how to do it..
I learnt that nature is intelligent. Once the constraints were removed I did not need to tell Mother Earth what to do or how to do it. The land returned to balance and health, and localised ecosystems emerged that supported an abundant and diverse range of native animals. I developed a very strong relationship with the land, and as it healed and came back to life, so did I. A time came when it felt as if I had been accepted by the land and was now part of a vast nature family. Memory, Information and knowledge, like a natural spring, simply percolated into my conscious mind according to my needs and curiosity at the time.
It became evident that all things in the natural world emerge from powerful creative processes, including the physical bodies we inhabit as spiritual beings
It became evident that all things in the natural world emerge from powerful creative processes, including the physical bodies we inhabit as spiritual beings. These processes self-organised into interconnected systems that supported life and our existence. They were obviously intelligent, responsive, creative, and had tremendous transformational capacity. Via conscious connection the knowledge and wisdom of Mother Earth become available and the ‘spiritual medicine’ of the landscape, plants and animals was offered. Most importantly the pathway to co-creation with others, nature and mother earth became visible via understanding these creative processes.
Mother Earth was calling me to wake up and work with her for transformation and sustainability. I made a commitment from a place of deep feeling to do so without knowing what it meant for my future life journey.
For me these were profound experiences that transformed understanding of self, relationships with all things, and my world view. Mother Earth was calling me to wake up and work with her for transformation and sustainability. I made a commitment from a place of deep feeling to do so without knowing what it meant for my future life journey.
This commitment took me away from the land I had come to love and be loved by, to the city and university where I studied psychology and philosophy as a mature age student. Whilst there I discovered a new science called Nonlinear Dynamical Systems Theory (NDS) in the university library. The pioneers of this wonderful and rapidly growing field of knowledge were discussing self-organising systems. Within their work was a conceptual framework and language that helped me assimilate and integrate much of what I had learnt from Mother Earth and nature along with my psychology and philosophy studies.
I have explored various ancient and indigenous wisdom traditions and discovered they knew these processes and talk about them in their own way
Since this time I have explored various ancient and indigenous wisdom traditions and discovered they knew these processes and talk about them in their own way. This has given me great respect for the people who have carried this knowledge across the ages and are now making it available. I also worked as a psychologist with trauma and abuse recovery and continued my study of nonlinear systems. The opportunity to explore the human condition and understand it via a systems perspective has been invaluable.
Wisdom traditions have carried knowledge that is being fully revealed at our time of greatest need, by events of our time.
Integration of ancient wisdom with new knowledge revealed more for me than either could in isolation. The new sciences provided keys that unlocked additional wisdom and knowledge from within the ancient and indigenous wisdom traditions. Once this was revealed the ancient traditions unlocked more insight from within the new sciences, and so on. There are no coincidences and the beauty of transformational process is revealed when we stop to reflect on this. Wisdom traditions have carried knowledge that is being fully revealed at our time of greatest need, by events of our time. The consciousness that has held this outcome for us to be released at a time of great transformational opportunity is profound indeed!
I have met wonderful teachers and mentors throughout these years who shared their knowledge willingly
During the past several years I have had opportunity to connect with others engaged in similar systems exploration and participate in international conferences as an attendee and presenter. I have met wonderful teachers and mentors throughout these years who shared their knowledge willingly and invited me into their networks with the opportunity to provide talks and workshops to further progress my work.
We all carry a piece of the solution and coming together in right relationship with each other, nature and Mother Earth, according to these processes, brings forward innovative solutions and transformational outcomes.
We all carry a piece of the solution and coming together in right relationship with each other, nature and Mother Earth, according to these processes, brings forward innovative solutions and transformational outcomes. A growing transformational network is emerging and we are working together collaboratively to provide events, seminars and workshops. Our aim is to provide a safe transformational pathway into a new worldview that people around our wonderful Earth are exploring. We invite you to join us in our exploration of The Nature Code for contributive learning. Our wish is that you will be inspired to use this learning in your individual or collaborative contribution to the transformation of consciousness necessary for a sustainable and just future.
My Work is Directed Toward.
- Reconnection with Mother Earth, the consciousness that supports our physical existence;
- Understanding the creative and transformational processes at work;
- Learning how to live cooperatively with Mother Earth and each other;
- Aligning intent with Mother Earth for natural activation of healing, growth, wisdom access, and transformation potential – individually and collectively
- Speaking our truth and supporting others to do the same;
- Stepping into our roles as co-creators and facilitators of transformational outcomes for the benefit of self, society and planet earth.
What I Value
My Work has Emerged From and Been Informed by
- Over twenty years of investigation into and study of Nonlinear Dynamical Systems and Complex systems. These are essentially naturally occurring self-organising and creative processes with transformational potential.
- Degrees in Psychology and Philosophy
- Twenty plus years working with trauma and abuse recovery as a psychologist, the opportunity this provided for exploring and understanding the human condition and the powerful dynamics that emerge from our interactions.
- Long periods spent immersed in nature throughout my life and connection with Mother Earth
- Learning about Australian Indigenous culture and their world view. Indigenous Australians have a remarkable history and lived in relative isolation for well over 50,000 years until recent times. Plenty of time to work it out.
- Study of other indigenous and ancient wisdom traditions.
- Study of eastern spiritual traditions and practices.
- Exploration of the co-operative movement and self organising business.
- Accessing pioneers in the transformational movement and meeting with them.
- Growing up on an isolated farm without television or telephone and having abundant time to explore nature without preconceptions.
- Whilst the owner/manager of a farm service business in the 70’s and 80’s witnessing the shift from mixed farming to industrialised agriculture and the terrible destructive consequences for nature, farmers, rural community and the health of the population generally.
- Buying a 240 acre dairy farm that had been degraded via these farming practices, getting rid of the stock, opening the fences up to the adjacent national park and watching what happened over a 6 year period.
- Travelling in Australia, North and South America, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, and North Africa.
- Attending numerous workshops, conferences, and training courses that I felt would contribute to my knowledge base and ability to assist in healing of the planet and humanity, and contribute to transformational outcomes needed for a sustainable future.
For information about other work I do visit my personal website here
In Peace and Love
The Nature Code